Tuesday, August 28, 2007

the time aproacheth...

Well two weeks from today will end my current routine of life. I will finish up at FUMC in my very important and life changing job as a recreation/fellowship assistant. This job entails sitting a desk and doing whatever I want until someone, somewhere needs me which might happen once a day. It is at this illustrious job that I now sit addressing all of you fine people.

Two days after I finish up at FUMC I will no longer work at Carinos either. Although I don’t like it, it seems as if complaining about that job is a job description to work there – I am continually guilty of it. Although I have enjoyed working there for the last year, I cannot say that I will be sorry to see it go. I will miss my coworkers most of all but the fact that I will no longer have to sort dirty silverware of people I have never met and may not care too gets close to making up for it.

After completing my employment tour of duty, I plan on taking a brief road trip to East and Central Texas to say adios to friends and family. After that I will be heading to California to visit a good friend of the female persuasion that I happen to like quite a bit. (if you don’t know, then I have been trying to avoid something like this since I knew that I was heading to the Peace Corps, so I am very angry at two girls named Sarah – and yes I meant to say two… long story.)

Just to kind of give everyone a clue of what my time will look like in Malawi I thought I would talk a little bit about what my schedule will look like. I will arrive in Malawi on Sept. 27th after quite a bit of flying. After that, I will begin my Pre-service Training. That entails about 12 weeks of intensive language and cultural training during which I will be staying with a village family. We will have class from mon-sat. and have very little free time. I will have no phone or internet access for my first 3 months, so PLEASE WRITE ME!!! After a few weeks I will also begin a kind of teaching internship in a local school. After the 12 weeks are finished I will be placed at a site where I will stay for the next two years. There I will teach physical science and some other subjects to high school students.

If any one feels the need to send me a care package (hint, hint), I would love it!!! If you would like any ideas, I have a couple. Candy is always good. Cereal, books, parmesan cheese in any form, pictures, letters, burned DVDs and CDs (i will have my laptop and occasional electricity), and other little comfort items will be great. Either way I am looking forward to this adventure as well as sharing it with all of my friends and family. Tiwonana Posachedwa (see you soon!)

2 comments:

noell said...

What up yo? My blog addy is www.westtxrose.com. Love ya - thanks for coming to see me!!

GNE said...

My boyfriend will be going to Malawi with the Peace Corps September 24th.