Tuesday, August 21, 2007

A couple of goals and expectations


This is the Flag of Malawi

Moni (hello) - i have been practicing my survival Chichewa which is what i will be speaking.

So I wanted to let everyone know what some of my goals are going to be while in Malawi.
Daily Goals:
- read
- practice the harmonica
- exercise
- practice the language
- write in my journal
- write letters
- love people

So those are a few of the things that i would like to do every day and maybe get a schedule down. A couple of problems present themself. 1) I cant play the harmonica - just purchased one. 2) I will prolly not have electricity so reading becomes difficult after dark. 3) I do very poorly when it comes to doing something every day (see: exercise) 4) there is no formula for love. All things considered I hope to meet these goals as often as possible.

A few of the expectations i have involve the time i have spent in developing nations (Mexico and Morocco), people that i have talked too, and things that i have read . I have never before been surrounded by as much poverty as i will be in Africa and i expect it to be very eye opening. I expect to miss my friends and family. I expect to be discouraged and encouraged by my experiences. I expect to become very good at squatting over a hole to take care of business. I expect to have a great time. I expect to get sick. I expect to not have much flavor in most of my food. I expect to become a part of the culture. I expect to make lifelong friends. I expect to see a lot of death. I expect to see a lot of life. Finally, I expect to learn to take a shower out of a bucket and enjoy it.

I will have no internet or phone access for my first two months in Malawi and plan on writing as much as possible as that will be my only form of communication stateside. Please write me as often as you can. My addie for the first 2-3months will be as follows:

Spencer Martin, PCT
Peace Corps
P.O. Box 208

Lilongwe, Malawi


Every blog I read mentions how much Volunteers enjoy receiving letters from home and how it makes the transition much easier. I will love u forever and ever if u write me!!!! Please label letters "air mail" and "par avion" Also feel free to send me protein (like beef jerky, nuts, bars etc), dried fruit, tasty healthy snacks, tasty unhealthy snacks, and things that i could use in a developing nation and to teach.

I would like to say thank you to all my friends and family for their love and support. If anyone has any questions let me know. You can find me on Facebook and Myspace or just leave one here.

By way of conclusion, let me end with some of the most important phrases in Chichewa: Chimbudzi chili kuti? (where is the toilet) and Ndili gwa ngati mwala (I am strong like a rock)

Much love,

Spencer

No comments: