Monday, August 20, 2007

Preparations

So I have about a month until i head to Philly for staging and then 3 days after that I head straight to the Sub-Sahara. For those of you who don't know, the Sub-Sahara is that which is below the Sahara...in Africa...the continent. I am going as a Peace Corps Trainee and will after about 10 weeks be sworn in as a Peace Corps Volunteer for the next two years after that.

I applied for the PC last November and have been excited about it ever since. I am going as an educator and will be teaching physical science to a rural high school in the country of Malawi, Africa. Malawi has no idea what is about to hit it. hehehehe I have been reading and talking to people and so excited about the time that I will spend there. I had a random Malawian guy who sent me a message on Facebook asking if I expected the Hollywood version of Africa and that I should not because of the poverty and the mosquitoes and such. I wanted to respond and say, "now when u say Hollywood version, do you mean Blood Diamond or Hotel Rwanda?" but i didn't because i have such great control over my mouth and what comes out of it.

There are many things i am looking forward to including scuba diving, safari, and the world cup in South Africa in 2010. I am not really nervous about anything except the teaching with little or no materials. Malawi seems like a great place with great people and I am very excited to experience and be changed by the experience. I told a friend today that although i am not sure that i like it about myself, I feel more excited about the adventure then the idealism or opportunity for philanthropy. I do want to help out in the world, but i have a feeling that i will be changed much more than i will instigate anything or anyone else to change. The end...for now....

2 comments:

Mr. Stone Himself said...

Did you know there is enough sand in Northern Africa to completely cover the Sahara?

William Hull said...

Hi Spencer,
Congratulations on the appointment. It sounds like it will be sooo rewarding for you and the kids you will be teaching. Dr. Hamman mentioned it to me and I thought it would be a great idea to congratulate you and say how proud I am to be a part of the Texas Tech Red Raider community! All the best,
William